Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Zoning Control System Design Help Needed

Options
Matigi
Matigi Member Posts: 7
Hi There,

I'm in the process of renovating our 1800 sqft. 2 story home, and upgrading the heating system from a poorly functioning monoflow radiator system to a primary/secondary manifold system. I have installed the plumbing, and have 1 manifold for radiators, getting 170F, and the other for underfloor radiant with a thermostatic mixing valve. Currently not upgrading the 12 year old 80K boiler, however will likely get a mod/con in the next 5-8 years.

I'm using alpha2 variable pumps for the manifolds, and will order electronic actuators for each of the manifold runs. I have also bought a Tekmar 256 outdoor reset.

While money is tight currently, and zone control not a necessity, i want to plan out, and wire everything i'll need while the walls and ceilings are open. Ideally i'd like room by room temp control, we have 4 bedrooms, and extension, and an open concept main floor.

What is the best way to command the boiler, and regulate room temps, while avoiding short cycling?

I was thinking about having a thermostat in each zone, and grouping the actuators for rads and floor runs into zones. am I in the right direction here, what control tech should I be looking at?

Really appreciate any insight and advice. There is a lot of learn on this subject.
Matt

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Yes you could control one or multiple actuators from one thermostat. If you buy actuators that have end switches built in, that will trigger the boiler and or circulator thru the relay box.

Buy the low current draw 250mA actuators so you can get all of them on one relay box.

if you use a 5 or 6 ZCP from Caleffi the two 40Va transformers are wired in parallel, so you have 80Va available across the actuator connections.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Matigi
    Matigi Member Posts: 7
    Options
    The Caleffi 6 zones looks like a great unit, and the wiring all makes sense. I should use N/C valves with end switches this way the pumps aren't called until the valves open. looks like the actuators can take 2-5 mins to operate fully.

Are there any reasons to choose Caleffi over a taco, or Tekmar zone valve controller? I noticed the Tekmar, includes some functionality to control boiler modulation, but thats the only obvious difference i could find. anything else i'm missing?

Thanks!