Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco 218 making a banging noise

Options
My system was installed about 15 years ago. I have 3 zones with Taco 007 pumps. Each zone has a Taco 218 inline. The zone that goes upstairs to some Slantfin. When that zone is calling for heat it is not very responsive (takes a long time for the heat to work) and there is a noise coming from the piping. It sounds like someone is hitting the pipe with a hammer. Could this be air, bad valve, bad pump? All the above?

Thanks

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    Usually air, could be cavitation. First step would be to confirm boiler pressure, then increase if necessary and try bleeding/purging that zone to see if it stops.
    Also depends on your near boiler piping, some photos showing that could be helpful.
    steve
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    Options
    What's the pressure on the boiler? It needs 12-15 psi for a 2 story home with the boiler in the basement.
    The noise is the weight inside the flow valve. There could be air in the zone so the zone needs to be purged.
    It could be a dirty seat inside the flow valve. Loosen the set screw on top. Run the zone. Tighten the set screw back.
    What does the boiler have for air elimination? Or is there a steel compression tank?
  • Ed Lentz_2
    Ed Lentz_2 Member Posts: 158
    Options
    There is a pressure tank that I think was set for 12 psi. Haven't looked at it in some time. There is also a air elimination device. I will post some pics later
  • Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 706
    Options
    Hi Ed
    Sorry to hear about your system issues. Taco, 218 check valve could be making the noise if you're experiencing laminar flow, and not enough velocity to keep the weight lifted entirely; you end up with a bang every time it drops.
    What makes me think so? You mentioned heat to that zone is not responsive, did anything in the system change? In this tread, Steve, and HVACnut both mentioned potential pressure issues. If you had air in the system, that could cause havoc too. Eliminating air by increasing system pressure forcing entrained air back into solution will help expel it to see if that makes a difference. Sometimes, you have to try different thing to see what the root cause is.
    The Taco 007 should be more pump than needed, so I wouldn’t suggest a pump with more capacity, unless this was an old steam system converted to hydronics?
    Anyway, hopefully this was helpful. Please reach out to Taco Tech support at 401-942-8000 to discuss further. I can always be reached too. thanks for Brand loyalty, much appreciated.
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
    DZoro
  • Ed Lentz_2
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I am enclosing a couple of pictures. Things are a little dusty but mostly serviceable :)) I will see if I can purge the zone tonight. The valve in question is the top most on the right.

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    Options
    I wonder why the common flow valve at the boiler outlet? And all space heat zone circulators are on the supply but the indirect circulator is on the return?
    Nice kitty photo bomb.
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Options
    Are you able to back up and get one full picture of the entire system?
    There is some piping to the left that is cut out, if you cant get a single large pic.
    In the first pic the top right valve (green) is your fill, bronze is your bfp.
    D
  • STEVEusaPA
    Options
    And a picture of the boiler gauge...
    steve
  • Ed Lentz_2
    Options
    Here are some more. I may have found the issue. The vavle I suspect is literally on the pipe below, rubbing on it. if there were some cavitation or flutter in the valve wouldn' t it transmit that to the other pipe and get louder? After I took the pic of the meter the hot water called. Wife taking a bath, the temp went down to 120 and stayed there. Water temp slowly rising but it seems pitifully slow. Could there be something going on with the heat exchanger?

• STEVEusaPA
    Options
    Depends on the output of the boiler and the size of the indirect, and the flow out of your faucet. Drawing a bath takes a lot of hot water that needs to be replenished, especially in the winter when the incoming cold water is the coldest. So all that boiler energy needs to recharge the indirect.

Don't think that has anything to do with your check valve chatter.
    steve
  • Ed Lentz_2
    Options
    You are probably correct. I was kinda shocked that the temp right at the boiler was so low. I am sure that isn't the cause of the noise either. Just another observation that is probably normal for this time of year. But since it is a closed loop through the Mega Stor I didn't think it would have dropped the Boilcer temp that low.