Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Taco HotLinkPlus-e recirculation system question - 2

nahmnahm Member Posts: 4
How effective would a Taco HotLinkPlus-e recirculation sytem in pulse mode just 5 minutes on/10 minutes off all day/all night mode be in preventing pipes from freezing?

Comments

• Jean-David BeyerJean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,656
    I am just a homeowner that just had that system installed. I also have a hot water pipe in an exterior wall that has frozen twice. I would have to remove kitchen cabinets and most of the inside wall to insulate it better.

I think it would work just fine, since my local weather forecasts have always told me when this was likely to happen at least 12 hours in advance. I cannot imagine if it put 120F water in the pipes for five minutes, that it would cool down to the freezing point, or a little below, in less than 10 minutes. Heating design temperature around here is 14F, but it goes down to 10F fairly frequently for a few hours some nights. This does not freeze that pipe. But when it goes down below 4F, it can. It has done that only twice since 2009.

The only question I have is that if I put the SmartPlug into pulse mode, does it retain the program it made in smart mode, or must it spend a week re-establishing its settings when I switch back.