Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Flame adjustment and control

Options
jaygerond
jaygerond Member Posts: 2
I have an Aero gun mounted on a New Yorker oil burner. I recently had smoke coming out of the burner. Took apart and vacuumed out the entire burner (lots of soot) and changed nozzle. The fire box is cracked in several places so a new burner is on the horizon. Put back together and adjusted air so I i have a nice bright yellow flame. Obviously, you don't want a dark yellow flame as this will promote soot build up. My question, when running the flame has the appropriate bright yellow flame but when the burner shuts down the flame goes to dark yellow color for two seconds or so before shutting down?

Comments

• jaygerond
    jaygerond Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Why is this happening and what are the possible solutions?
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Options
    jaygerond said:

I have an Aero gun mounted on a New Yorker oil burner. I recently had smoke coming out of the burner. Took apart and vacuumed out the entire burner (lots of soot) and changed nozzle. The fire box is cracked in several places so a new burner is on the horizon. Put back together and adjusted air so I i have a nice bright yellow flame. Obviously, you don't want a dark yellow flame as this will promote soot build up. My question, when running the flame has the appropriate bright yellow flame but when the burner shuts down the flame goes to dark yellow color for two seconds or so before shutting down?

Sounds like you need to call your HVAC guy asap. Nothing you described sounds good. Turn the boiler off until they arrive.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    Your burner needs a combustion check with instruments
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    You can't adjust an oil burner by eye...never.
    steve