Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Venting Air from One Pipe Steam Systems

I read a great article on venting one pipe steam systems written by Gerry Gill and Steve Pajek.
They extensively researched (on the Job) on how fast does air need to be removed from a boiler, piping and radiators.

There is valuable charts on vent valve capacities and determining how much air needs to be removed the steam main and recommendations on choosing the main vent valve.

At this juncture I disagree with the size selections of the master vent valve and radiator vent valves.

What is not taken into consideration is the total of radiator valves releasing air while the boiler is making steam.

When I was a consultant my reputation was paramount: I promised the customer that they would pay nothing if I could not cure the problem.

In the early days of career as a consultant I used well tried thumb rules learned from old timers to rectify venting problems.

I got burned on two jobs! It cost me time and money because I paid for the vent valves and did the install.
Although the system operated better it did not cure the problem.

Some time after I did research on air venting and later returned to these jobs and fixed the problem for free.
This resulted in recommendations and many jobs where I made money and received more leads.

I am including an partial chapter from my book Steam the perfect Fluid for heating and some of the problems.

Available at Dan's Library,Barnes and Noble Amazon and Dorrance Publications in Pittsburgh Pa.

Read both articles It is important that you view both methods.

Jacob Myron

Comments

• clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    Hello there mr Myron .I conversed w you many years ago on a project in New York State we unfortunately didn’t get the job and they did nothing for years until there ancient boiler finally was done .Aside from that great to see you posting again your a great asset to the art and knowledge of steam heating .peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    Dear Clammy. Its great to hear from an steam repairer. I took to looking at the job you reference when I click on your site. That case study you posted is the cleanest and near perfect job I have seen in my 55 years in the business. The only thing missing is the pipe insulation. I know you put it on after the pictures.

Great to know some people remember me as a good resource for information.

May you have all the work your company can handle with the time off be healthy and enjoy life.

Jacob Myron
    Erin Holohan Haskell