Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burnham LE / NY MicroTEK3 series boiler - lost weld studs on rear combustion door?

bohnjerry
bohnjerry Member Posts: 2
Came with the house (the house is less than 20yrs old), so I don't know the history.. but seems to have had a tough life. After having trouble removing some bottom turbulators from the tubes (packed jam full of ash), I went to take the cover off the rear of the combustion chamber, only to find multiple studs broken that holds it. The studs for the rear cover are not attached where the water jacket is underneath, but they do not penetrate back steel plate either.. they are stud welded on.
In typing this, it occurred to me that perhaps I can drill holes and pull though true bolts.. The front door actually has bolts for the door that have a tapped threaded hole though the same location (the back is held on by nuts on the studs). I was originally going to ask folks here if this is a common tale? I was thinking of simply surface welding new studs on? Perhaps it's more economical to stud weld then drill though bolts.. or is there perhaps a engineering concept why they did not?
Ideas??

Comments

• bohnjerry
    bohnjerry Member Posts: 2
    Thanks you all of you who looked at my post.. I know the request for opinions was quite situation specific and only people who shared this exact problem (and not in a position to tell a customer they need a new furnace :P ) would be able to help.
    I did ending up drilling a hole through were the weld studs were, and put a stainless bolt of the same size with the heads on the back though that hole and tack welded it so it wouldn't spin when you tightened it or pushed it back though the holes with the cover.. I replaced the rear combustion door furnace rope, since this was burnt from blow-by (and ash in the outside sheet metal cover of the furnace). Replaced the rear door and it's a beautiful thing.
    Fortunately, from the furnace cleaning person's perspective... unless you were hyper observant, it should never raise the eyebrow of any future tech, since it should look standard and not MacGuyver-ed.
    Happy (warm) Days!