Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

STEAM CURIOSITY

Options
jhrost
jhrost Member Posts: 57
If anyone is in the finger lakes region of NY for a wine tour you might want to check this out. Has anyone had any experience with this type of radiator or an opinion about it? Check into Grape Pies as well, they are a specialty in this area - you can warm them on your steam shelf when you get back I guess. https://fingerlakes.craigslist.org/zip/d/seneca-falls-rare-1920s-radiator-shelf/6999297791.html

Comments

• John Ruhnke
    John Ruhnke Member Posts: 882
    Options
    Looks like that will make a great shoe and glove warmer!
    I am the walking Deadman
    Hydronics Designer
    Hydronics is the most comfortable and energy efficient HVAC system.
  • jhrost
    Options
    I thought it might be good for a warmer as well, maybe in a hallway where a radiator had been taken out. I wonder what the EDR of this would be? Would it be capable of heating a small room , or just be capable of drying clothes?
  • John Ruhnke
    John Ruhnke Member Posts: 882
    Options
    There is a radiator standing next to it. That warmer looks to be the size of 4 of those. That could heat up a large room by itself.
    I am the walking Deadman
    Hydronics Designer
    Hydronics is the most comfortable and energy efficient HVAC system.
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,293
    Options
    That looks like an American Radiator Co. Rococo Pantry Radiator (circa 1916). It's on page 63 of EDR. It was used in residential pantries, as well as in hotel and restaurant kitchens to keep a large number of plates warm. They made it in various heights.
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • tkos115
    tkos115 Member Posts: 94
    Options
    I wonder how big of a vent you would need for that..
  • Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722
    Options
    > @tkos115 said:
    > I wonder how big of a vent you would need for that..

Depends on how much heat you want from it. I believe @hot_rod has one that's been converted to use in a hot water system. I want this but it's a heck of a drive for me
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
  • jhrost
    Options
    Sounds like it could have an interesting history - maybe it did keep pies warm in a bakery . Unless you live in a large metropolitan area, even just getting a run of the mill radiator in the size you want often entails a fairly long drive unfortunately. The fall color is pretty good now, but like the ad says it is probably kind of heavy .
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 906
    Options
    Those radiators were also made and sold as American Peerless Radiators and were assembled with threaded nipples. They came in 2, 3, 4, and 5 shelves with heating surfaces of 15, 23, 31, and 39 sq ft. They do not list a weight, I wonder why. See page 144 in the book "The Ideal Fitter 21st edition.