Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Flush SGO-5 boiler

Options
bpapa
bpapa Member Posts: 2
I recently moved to a new house with an SGO-5 boiler and steam heat. At my previous house, I had a Peerless boiler and steam heat. Especially during the cold season, I would flush the boiler every week or so to allow some of the dirty water that builds up to flush out. I would just let it run until I saw clean(er) water, usually about 10 seconds. There was a pipe and with a valve on the side of the boiler that allowed me to do that.

I'm not sure which valve to use on the SGO-5. Our inspector indicated it wasn't necessary to flush out this type of boiler, but I'm not certain that is correct and the site glass shows some dirty looking water toward the bottom of it. I've attached a couple pictures. Should I use the green valve in the bottom right of the front of the boiler, or one of the two valves in the back (bottom center of picture)?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    You should probably get the boiler skimmed. You don’t have the type of low water cutoff that requires flushing.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• bpapa
    bpapa Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Thanks. So I don’t need to flush the LWCO on a regular basis. Based on the brown water at the bottom of the site glass, would it still be wise to drain the boiler using the valve in the front right of the boiler and slowly fill with fresh water with the water feeder ( after allowing the boiler to cool).

Thanks.