Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Source for 4 1/2" pipe or nipple

Options
We are working on a late 1800 steam system that has some rotted out return piping. Does anyone know of a source for 4 1/2" black steel pipe or nipples. 1 nipple would work to thread into a 7" x 4 1/2" x 3 tee and we could weld on whatever we need from there.

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,662
    Options
    Could always turn an adapter on a lathe.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Supply house.com has plenty of pipe. Anything with 7" may be a problem.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,962
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Black steel nipples at odd numbers 7" ? Not sure what you are looking for.
    Am I mistaken, or are you looking for a Black nipple that is 4 inch I.D. ? I believe that you have measured the O.D. at 4-1/2 inches.
    This is not the common way to ask for a nipple or fitting.

So....are you looking for a 4 inch by ______ ? black nipple at some undetermined length?
  • Rich Jones
    Rich Jones Member Posts: 9
    Options
    I am looking for a 4 1/2 ID black iron nipple of any length threaded on one end. The OD of the pipe is 5". Supplyhouse.com shows nothing in 4 1/2 ID.
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,962
    edited October 2019
    Options
    OHBOY. Thats a tough one.
    If you can. It might be possible to use a victaulic product. They have some high temp items that might work.
  • Matt_67
    Matt_67 Member Posts: 287
    Options
    Maybe get a piece of 5” OD steel tubing and thread it with a geared threader?
  • Pumpguy
    Pumpguy Member Posts: 659
    Options
    As @mattmia2 suggested, if worse comes to worse, you should be able to have a machine shop make one up for you.
    Dennis Pataki. Former Service Manager and Heating Pump Product Manager for Nash Engineering Company. Phone: 1-888 853 9963

The first step in solving any problem is TO IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,539
    Options
    @Rich Jones I think you going to be out of luck.

If it's accessable to weld you might try a 8 X 3 X 5" weld tee.

The 8 would slide over the 7" and weld that, 3" fittings are available and a 5" nipple coming out of the branch would slip over the 4 1/2 to weld that........a lot of work though. I have seen 7" pipe and 3 1/2" pipe on old jobs but never 4 1/2" but I don't doubt it existed. I have bought 3 1/2 in the past. I even checked under structural pipe on the internet because they have odd sizes but no luck with 4 1/2"
  • Matt_67
    Matt_67 Member Posts: 287
    Options
    5” OD x .25” wall structural tube is available. Metals Depot sells it online in short lengths.
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 856
    Options
    With 3.5 inch steel pipe we weld on 3 inch or 4 inch pipe. Not sure we've ever had to deal with 4.5 inch pipe, but I would think 4 inch or 5 inch could be welded onto to it. My guess is that 3.5 and 4.5 inch pipe has not been produced for at least forty years.
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 906
    edited October 2019
    Options
    3.5" sch 40 pipe may still be available at an old pipe supply shop but I never ran into 7" pipe. A company in Pittsburgh, Pa. may be someone to call. They have been in business for generations and can thread piping up to 8" and maybe larger. The company is B M Kramer 412-481-3000. If you are looking for a size of piping or fitting that is no longer available I would find the next size larger or smaller and make that work. Numerous times when the company I worked for found odd piping we would make what we needed and adapt to what was there. A good welder was always present and could weld what we needed.
  • jerryb46
    jerryb46 Member Posts: 59
    Options
    Don't know where you are, but might try OSWALD SUPPLY,they were in THE BRONX,N.Y. at one time they had stuff that nobody else had.Good Luck.