Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Dryer vent cleanout idea

Jay_HJay_H Member Posts: 7
Existing 4" ventpipe from a dryer with a downfacing vent. vent goes through the floor (unfinished basement) into a 90deg elbow and then straight out through the exterior wall. Maybe this is a plumbing thing but I was thinking of installing a TEE instead of the 90deg elbow to assist in cleaning out the ventpipe (not frequently) but wondering if this is worth it or totally not recommended. I am concerned with lint collecting at the T as opposed to doing the 90deg turn and eventually clogging up, defeating the entire purpose of having a T there, in other words...

Is the T a bad idea? Any first hand experience out there?

Jay

Comments

• FredFred Member Posts: 8,370
    Some of the big box stores sell dryer vent kits that have a Tee in them with some kind of filter. They are not for clean-out but to recover the exhaust heat and vent it into an interior space. I don't know how well they work but they seem to sell well.
  • JakeCKJakeCK Member Posts: 138
    > @Fred said:
    > Some of the big box stores sell dryer vent kits that have a Tee in them with some kind of filter. They are not for clean-out but to recover the exhaust heat and vent it into an interior space. I don't know how well they work but they seem to sell well.

I've seen those, and they seem like a good way to get mold in your house. A lot of moist hot air getting dumped right into the house. And if its a gas dryer it's exhaust too.
  • ChrisJChrisJ Member Posts: 10,665
    JakeCK said:

> @Fred said:

> Some of the big box stores sell dryer vent kits that have a Tee in them with some kind of filter. They are not for clean-out but to recover the exhaust heat and vent it into an interior space. I don't know how well they work but they seem to sell well.

I've seen those, and they seem like a good way to get mold in your house. A lot of moist hot air getting dumped right into the house. And if its a gas dryer it's exhaust too.

They're only intended for electric driers and I'd expect it to only be used in the winter.

I wouldn't want the extra lint my self.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • FredFred Member Posts: 8,370
    JakeCK said:

> @Fred said:

Probably not nearly as mold prone as a forced air furnace with a humidifier.