Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Convert a TrolATemp 2 Zone System to 1 Zone

shiprecshiprec Posts: 3Member
Is it possible to convert a two zone TrolATemp to one zone?

I have a house that was built in the late 90's, and the furnace was upgraded 3 years ago. However, when they upgraded the furnace, they didn't swap out the old TrolATemp system. It is in a Master/Slave configuration with two thermostats connected to an MM-2. Since the basement thermostat is rarely changed, I wanted to replace that thermostat with a Nest temperature sensor and just control to that the 5 days of the year I would use it.

So my question is, can I remove a zone, thereby remove the MM-2, or should I just buy another Nest thermostat for the basement and upgrade to an HZ311?

Master Thermostat

Slave Thermostat

MM-2 Wiring

Dampers

Comments

• HVACNUTHVACNUT Posts: 2,410Member
    I'm lost. You want to make the furnace one zone but you want to install a Nest in the basement to only provide heat to the basement 5 days a year? If you want to have the basement operate independently, then it needs to be zoned.
    Does the furnace have an ECM motor? Is there a barometric relief bypass? I would replace the zone board with an HZ311 and the thermostats (Honeywell T6 WiFi). I wouldn't use Nest but that's just me.
  • shiprecshiprec Posts: 3Member
    Thanks for the response, and sorry if I wasn't clear. I wanted to install a Nest at the master thermostat, and one of the little hockey puck temperature sensors in place of the one in the basement.

The Ruud system is a variable speed, and I've only been in the house for three weeks and haven't spotted any barometric bypass dampers.
  • shiprecshiprec Posts: 3Member
    I was looking at the wiring for the HZ311 last night and think I am understanding it pretty well. Just wanted to confirm that the orange and black wires from the master thermostat are no longer needed with the new zone control board?