Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler buddy buffer VS air separator/hydronic separator

Options
Tom_133
Tom_133 Member Posts: 886
So I just finished up a job where I used a 3" air separator with a magnet. My rep came to help diagnose the lack of communication between my pumps and asked why I used the separator over the boiler buddy that he reps? I am weary of the boiler buddy for a couple reasons, but the cost is much better on the boiler buddy and it would be as simple to pipe and it does my hydronic separation for me as well as the air removal.

Any thoughts? I could even install a magnet on the return to make sure I grab any junk from the system
Tom
Montpelier Vt

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,434
    Options
    Tell us more about the system....
    STEVEusaPA
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,188
    Options
    What flow rates are you running that required a 3" sep?

Depending on the brand of sep, they do a much better job of air removal. The buffer really adds content or mass to the system as it's primary function, separation and air removal to some degree.

Lack of communication between primary and secondary circulators? Not sure what that means?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 886
    Options
    Kcopp, Im just spit balling here. So the next one I do, I can be ready to quote.

Hot Rod, I am running 80Gpm through.
    Thanks for the help on air removal, and not adding unwanted mass.

I installed brand new to the market pumps, light commercial, they are not communicating with each other, and the call to prioritize DHW is not shutting them down. Taco is on it though!!

Tom
    Montpelier Vt