Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Two drains on my steam heater? Help?!

Hi, I need help to know what direction to go. My steam heater modem is PEG150CIDE and I changed some parts out because it was corroded and rusted and noticed it has two drains. One coming out the boiler, which to me seems normal then this other drain at the bottom of the main vent pipe. When I fill the boiler with water water goes to that second drain at bottom of main vent pipe and if i leave it open it will drain all the water out the tank. My question is, is there suppose to be water in this pipe ( see red circle in image ) and if not why does water go there?

Comments

• k1llswltch
    k1llswltch Member Posts: 3
    To be clear. I can fill the boiler but some of that water goes to through the pipe to the second drain in picture. I can drain the water out completely from boiler from both drains. Is this normal?
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,883
    Yes, there is supposed to be water in that pipe. That's fine what's happening. Since you are done with your repairs you should close both boiler drains and fill your boiler to the water level indicator on your Mcdonnell Miller control.
    You have a "steam" boiler. The water should only fill to the water line indicated on your McDonnell Miller water feeder seen on your sight glass.
    Do you have a water feeder or do you feed the boiler manually?
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,883
    Be sure not to over fill.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Perfectly normal. That second drain allows you to back flush the Hartford loop and that small amount of wet return. Someone was thoughtful when they installed that second drain.
    k1llswltch
  • k1llswltch
    k1llswltch Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the reply. Yes I fill it manually no auto feeder. I was worried was water traveled there. Thanks again!
    > @Intplm. said:
    > Yes, there is supposed to be water in that pipe. That's fine what's happening. Since you are done with your repairs you should close both boiler drains and fill your boiler to the water level indicator on your Mcdonnell Miller control.
    > You have a "steam" boiler. The water should only fill to the water line indicated on your McDonnell Miller water feeder seen on your sight glass.
    > Do you have a water feeder or do you feed the boiler manually?
  • Dan_NJ
    Dan_NJ Member Posts: 247
    Since it wasn't mentioned before, make sure to run the system to steaming immediately after you fill in order to purge the oxygen from the re-fill water.
  • Shalom
    Shalom Member Posts: 165
    I actually have three on mine: the one at the bottom of the pipe that you pictured, one on the low water cutoff, and one at the bottom of the boiler itself.
  • SeanBeans
    SeanBeans Member Posts: 520
    It’s good practice to install Tees With drains instead of 90s under the water line so you can completely flush out the wet return From any locatikn