Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Jaga / low-temp hydronic for addition+renovation project in MN (Zone 7)

Options
koselig
koselig Member Posts: 3
Hi all!
We have a 1bd/1ba bungalow in the woods which we are updating to be our family home. Heating is currently primarily the wood stove, with a radiant slab run off of a 40gal LP water heater.

My objective is to have a system which will keep the house temperate even when are traveling in the winter, but when we are here we will be using an RSF Opel wood fireplace. The fireplace will be on the far West wall in a vaulted living room and there will be bedrooms all the way to the East, so hydronic will be useful even when we are here, to keep temperatures consistent.

I need help with our hydronic design! I have experience with Navien mod-cons as we have a combi in our shop/office on the same property. So my thought was to use a Navien boiler in here as well to keep it simple if we ever need support, but I am interested in the Viessmann and IBC units as well.

Because there is slab heat in the basement, I am planning on using low-temp radiators such as the Jaga Strada units. My hope is we could get away with radiators only in the (4) bedrooms (1 on ground floor, 3 upstairs). But we could add one or two in some common areas.

I need help with DHW as well. I am thinking a (80gal?) tank heated by the boiler would be ideal as we have 4 kids and are on well water.

I'd like to design the radiators as home-run with a single variable speed pump, if possible. Any other advice for a system like this? Will we do OK with a Navien+Jaga home run setup with indirect DHW?

Thanks!
Patrick