Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steel floor/poured slab

Options
I have a project coming up in which the 2nd level is going to have a steel corrugated floor with a poured concrete slab over it. Besides 6"X6" steel mesh does anyone have ideas on how to secure the heat tubing, 1/2" PAP?
Thanks Jeffrey
Jeffrey Campbell

Comments

• Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722
    Options
    You can attach it to the insulation layer with foam board staples and pour over it. I've never seen insulation on top of the corrugated metal before the pour though. Is the insulation layer going underneath the corrugated metal?
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
  • Simply Rad
    Simply Rad Member Posts: 184
    Options
    The system is relying on the corrugated valley for structural floor so I can’t insulate on top of metal. Insulation is going on underside of metal. I am pretty sure the 6X6 mesh is the way to go. I use Quips to attach tubing to mesh and it works great
    Jeffrey Campbell
  • nibs
    nibs Member Posts: 511
    Options
    If the plan is no insulation below the pex, some of the heat will radiate downwards, perhaps that is the plan???
    If no insulation zip tie the pex to the mesh, It might be a good idea to spray foam the Qdeck before the pour, dunno how staples would stick, as @Canucker said if you have board foam staples work very well, otherwise zip tie to the mesh, wiring the pex has lead to problems, and so has cutting control joints, so place the control joints and sleeve the pex where it crosses them.
  • Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722
    Options
    > @Simply Rad said:
    > The system is relying on the corrugated valley for structural floor so I can’t insulate on top of metal. Insulation is going on underside of metal. I am pretty sure the 6X6 mesh is the way to go. I use Quips to attach tubing to mesh and it works great

The mesh is your best bet. Simple and effective
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,921
    Options
    I built myself an 8 unit apartment building a couple years ago using concrete over steel decking with urethane foam sprayed on the bottom side. What I did was tie together "hog panels" which is a 6x6 grid of 3/16" steel bar and raise it 1" off the bottom of the 4" slab on chairs and zip tie my 1/2" pex to it. I think it went very well and will be doing my next one the same way
  • Simply Rad
    Simply Rad Member Posts: 184
    Options
    We are definatly insulation under the metal deck. But you guys that use zips ties and mesh should try these. I first used them 10 ago and I will never use a pigtail wire tie or a zip tie again. I have install many thousands of sqft of radiant slabs using these and they work great!!!!!!!!!! Try them and you wont be disappointed

https://www.isibp.com/products/quip-radiant-heating-clips/
    Jeffrey Campbell