Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Substitute Heat-Flo Anode Rod

Parachute
Parachute Member Posts: 25
Anybody know the length and NPT diammeter of the Heat-flo indirect domestic hot water tank HF-80E, part #
anode-rod-assy-1.315-17. Trying to see if I can substitue a standard rod for the OEM one that's gone bad. Also anyone know what the insulating sponge material is covering the thermostat controling the electric backup? Mine got damaged and I need to replace it. Thanks.

Comments

• Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,483
    Hi, I found this in the Heat Flo manual:
    Inspect Anode (annual) The purpose of the magnesium anode is to reduce the damaging effects of aggressive water on the water heater. Aggressive water will cause the anode(s) to erode. The anode(s) must be inspected at least annually to determine whether a new anode should be installed. Use anode replacement parts supplied by Heat-­‐Flo only. Heat-­‐Flo anodes are 1-­‐1/4 NPT and are made with magnesium, brass, and stainless steel. There is no steel in a Heat-­‐Flo anode. Severe or rapid deterioration of the anode indicates very aggressive water. If this occurs, have the water tested to verify whether it is within the limits -Heat-flo, Inc.| Multi-Energy Tanks Page| 21- outlined on page 6. Failure to inspect the anode regularly and replace if necessary could result in damage to the water heater. If this unit is installed and maintained according to the instructions and conditions in this manual, this product will last for a long time. Here's a link: https://www.heat-flo.com/documents/multi-energy/multi-energy-IO-manual.pdf The way it's written, it's clear they want you to use their anode. If you're out of warranty, it would be easy to bush down to a standard 3/4" male pipe thread anode.

Yours, Larry
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,791
    George at Heat-Flo have been tinkering with that large style anode rod for years, best determine the model year if you want an OEM replacement.

I believe it goes in the side of the tank, so a short rod is required.

Any foam or fiberglass insulation should be fine around the control.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Parachute
    Parachute Member Posts: 25
    Larry, I missed that in the manual. Thanks very much.