Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Uponor multi core

clammy
clammy Member Posts: 3,103
I recently was looking on line at some uponor pex al pex and see that 1/2 was being discontinued ,is this true and if so what does that mean for those of us who use it ,does this mean we bag uponor and start using a different pex al pex product .to be totally honest I’m not a fan of standard he pex and or water pex .i stay away from the he pex due to what I see when servicing systems that where installed using ,it just seems that there’s a lot of mud and rust rust more so then from the days of 5 lbs of flux to do the piping .is there reason low sales no sales I know outta the few humans I know in the trades they don’t even know what it is and at first glance always say that stuffs expensive .for my self if I have to change pex manafactures from uponor to who ever and retool I think I’ll just do copper sweat no press here I kinda like my pipe to stay round not square plus whenever there’s a drip on that press crap your usually cutting out a lot of crap and tossing it ,ok enough of my rant ,so what’s the story ps I would ask my supply house but I m pretty sure I’m the only guy who ever even ordered it lol peace and good luck clammy
R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
NJ Master HVAC Lic.
Mahwah, NJ
Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

Comments

• Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,882
    What I heard is that Uponor is slowing or stopping production of there blue tubing temporarily, and no other.
    The reason has to do with some type of material shortage needed to make the blue. So, they are only postponing the blue manufacturing process for now until whatever ingredients they need become more available.
  • mercedes
    mercedes Member Posts: 67
    Uponor Pex-AL-Pex seem to be only USA not available. But still available in Europe. Just come back from ISH in March.
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,889
    I talked to our Uponor rep yesterday, he said Multicor is done being produced. Didn't have many details, just supposedly there was some sort of lawsuit similar to the Kitec issue and they stopped production
  • clammy
    It figures a great product and law suites and lawyers will put it to rest . I would gather it has to do with improper installation and issues with non die electric connectors and the aliumium failing due to die electric reactions , being I’m not a fan of pex and it’s issues aside from looking like garbage and using excessive supports for it to get heated and sag and make expansion noise and become brittle with age and the oxygen issues I guess it’s great for the hydronic chemical co . So I guess the days of home run systems with it is done being lawsuit travel from one manafactures to the next .good bye ole friend lol .i guess I ll step back in time and keep soldering and leave those home run systems to some one else who also does water treatment .i have seen the result of hi temp systems and he pex not pretty and not a story you want to tell your customer a few years later when it become s a issue .to bad I know that it was a blessing on butched up mono flow that where switch to series and don’t work oh well there will be a young mech who will tackle and add all sort of do dads to help the oxygen disfusion issues .i just love progress thank god it’s not marketed for steam and that sooner or later I ll be either outta the businesses or a dead guy either way I won’t have to deal with the repercussions of progress and the systematic destruction of any quality in any product .super sad state we headed for thank god most work is hidden in a special wrapping that hides all sin it’s called Sheetrock in the old days it was called wall paper the hider of multiple sin peace and good luck clammy sorry for the rant
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    Clammy, look into the Viega FostaPex. I think they have developed perhaps the best form stable tube of any I have seen. You have the reliability of a full size pex tube, not a laminate, the wrap of AL and a PE outer coating. Coils or 20' straight sticks.

The concern with PAP was the layering, how the aluminum was built either butt weld or lap, and as you mentioned the bare AL at the ends touching brass connectors and potential electrolysis.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • clammy
    Thanks bob it’s getting to the point that every couple of years you change manafactures and re tool get comfortable and then do it again . I’m getting to the point where I think I had enough with any he pex and what it looks like after a few years .i m a kiss fan keeping it simple silly . I can only foresee the great o ring capper will have to stay tune and keep the prestolite close by since I don’t think I’ll take that press copper leap being that it seems to be the most reliable w a really long history plus when there’s a drip I can call it a leak not something that will seal up . I ll look into viega pap but I don’t think any place I deal w carries unless it’s on line yuk Peace and good luck clammy
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,889
    I've used the FostaPex a handful of times in the past with borrowed tools but had a fairly substantial job just yesterday that I bid in Fosta so I bought the tools and it went very well. I'm not terribly fond of the look, but it's much cleaner than regular pex without the sag and considerably faster than copper. I did find that the prep tool doesn't like to strip anything shorter than about 2-1/2" but it can be done if you're careful. Also, it can be used for both plumbing and heating applications so that's handy to only need to carry one tube if you do both. Price is very similar to HePex also, so nothing too nuts there it just takes a little longer to cut and prep
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    about 5 seconds or less to strip it with a cordless drill.

I used plenty of copper crimp rings on Fostapex. it's just standard pex once the jacket is off.

I adjusted the blade so it strips the jacket back farther. Then compression fittings will work, like on TRV and panel radiator valves.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream