Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Noisy Taco X-Pump Block

We've installed many of these, but this one is particularly noisy. Has anyone experienced this?

8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab

Comments

• Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 704
    Hi Alan
    the RMB is equipped with an integral IFC (check valve) that could be chattering because of laminar flow. if you're in outdoor reset mode of operation, injection pump turn down causes minimal flow, and subsequent reduced pressure to hold IFC open.
    as the flow decreases, the check valve could chatter. some people have removed the check, with no detriment to performance if you want to avoid chatter entirely.
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • Hey there, Joe:
    We are in setpoint mode and it's not so much of a chatter than a loud hum. The circulators are quite hot as well. Brand new installation.

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,019
    A hum and excessively hot circ could be stuck, or air locked and turning electrical energy to boiling water, or heat. I’d pull them and check that they rotate freely
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    I've had pumps of all brands have the occasional "loud one". Or one which is exceptionally off balance and vibrates.

Nice thing is you can swap out the cartridge if this is the case. I've grown to really dislike the IFC flow-checks. Seems they all pretty much rattle, and with copper/black pipe it can resonate through a system. I've found the old fashioned iron or bronze flow-checks to be much quieter.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,019
    In a perfect hydronic world, a check would be 12D from a circulator discharge
    The IFC should “pop” and stay open with 1/2 psi or less. I think very low speed on VS circs may lead to some low delta P conditions, in addition to turbulent conditions at full rpm causing potential noise, sounds like geese eating domino
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Geese eating domino... I like it!
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • We took the X-Pump Block apart and determined that the system pump was making the loud noise. Pulled the motor off the volute to see what was going on and it all looked fine - no debris. We've ordered a new 008 cartridge to see if that does the trick.

• Csrfr
    Csrfr Member Posts: 1
    I think the piping may need to be reconfigured. From the photo, it appears the 90's are close to the pump. This could cause cavitation.