Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dan Holohan article

Options
bob eck
bob eck Member Posts: 930
Hi Dan
Back a few years ago you wrote a article on high efficiency condensing gas boilers and Combi Boilers about how long their life cycle would be.
Back when you wrote the article heating professional contractors and home owners were used to seeing their boiler last 25 to 30 years and longer.
The new high efficiency gas condensing boilers were hitting the market and their warranties on the heat exchanger was only 10-12 years at most. Some contractors and home owners were complaining that the warranties were not long enough and that these boilers would not last as long as the cast iron boilers of the past.
I have a Triangle Tube PE110 Prestige Excellence boiler / water heater in my house almost 10 years. This boiler was Triangle Tubes first condensing boiler to do both heating and domestic hot water.
I can see the changes in condensing gas boilers and combi boilers over the last 10 years. I have learned a lot on these units and how they need to be sized right, installed and piped correctly, vented correctly water quality needs to be addressed and if home owners want these boiler to last they need yearly maintenance.
Can you please post a link to that article.
Where do you see the high efficiency condensing gas boilers and Combi Boilers going in the future.
My TT PE110 Prestige Excellence Boiler has a great heat exchanger SS Fire Tube design and I see so many manufacturers have gone to that type heat exchanger.
I your opinion what type heat exchanger will last longer? As I stated earlier there are many factors to take into account how long these boiler will last.

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
    I don't recall that article, Bob. I do remember repeating a story told to me while visiting Viessmann in Germany, though. The spokesman said they expected the current offering of boilers to last 10 years in Germany. When I asked how consumers felt about that, he said that in 10 years people will want better boilers because they will be making better boilers. This was some time ago.

I keep an open mind on all of this.
    Retired and loving it.