Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gold bond fireshield removal

Zipper13
Zipper13 Member Posts: 229
edited April 2019 in THE MAIN WALL
I'm planning to sister several floor joists this summer. Access to a few is blocked by a fire blocking sheetrock above the boiler that will need to be removed.

My boiler guy said that it is or was code to have above an oil burner (house used to have oil heat two owners ago), but that I dont need it over the gas boiler there now (installed 2008).

My questions:
Is it kosher to remove and NOT replace this fireshield?

Is this fireshield particularly toxic (like might it be an asbestos product?) requiring particular care or expert removal?

New owner of a 1920s home with steam heat north of Boston.
Just trying to learn what I can do myself and what I just shouldn't touch

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    You probably don’t need it. Code and the manufacturer specify distances to combustibles, including the flue pipe.
    steve
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    There have been several lawsuits against National Gypsum Company regarding Gold Bond Products. Many did contain asbestos. At a minimum, I think I would wet it down and try to take it down in whole sheets rather than cut or break it up, wrap it in plastic and properly dispose of it.
    I would not think any fire rated shield would be required for that boiler. In the past, boilers and other heating appliances were much taller and close to flammable construction materials. I think local codes might be checked for required clearances.
    Zipper13
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    Don't know where your located but this was a MASSACHUSETTS oil boiler thing years ago.

Not required any longer as far as I know for residential boilers Most likely just regular sheetrock. As I recall this was a 1970s-80s thing around here. Take it down wet to be safe
  • Zipper13
    I'm in MA. I've read that Gold Bond stopped intentionally using asbestos as an additive in '78...so i guess depending on when that regulation went into effect, it may have been installed after they stopped using asbestos. I plan to send a piece off to test. The kit is like $30 online. Seems worth it.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    @Zipper13
    one of the dumbest laws MA ever had. You were supposed to put sheetrock up in every direction measuring from 4' in every direction from the center of the boiler. 5/8" they wanted.

It was PITA on replacements and no one would move all the wiring and piping to get a clean sheet up overhead. So people use 3/8" of 1/2" and it was usually all cut in pieces and patched looked like crap. Some fire depts. enforced it some didn't. I had fire chiefs tell me how stupid it was. Then they changed it so you could put a sprinkler head overhead.

Not sure but now I don't think you need anything. MA did away with there own oil burner code in 2015? and adopted the NFPA fire code for oil burners
  • Zipper13
    Thanks for the background. It sounded unnecessary to me, but I'm certainly no expert! It's strange, my parents still have oil for heat and hot water a mile away in the same town and they have no evidence of ever having had anything like this near their boiler. Must have been a different chief when they bought.
  • Zipper13
    in case any one was curious -- Got the results back from SCHNEIDER LABORATORIES this morning. No asbestos detected
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    That's good news
    Zipper13