Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

STAINLESS STEEL FLUE LINER QUESTIONS

Options
cd72
cd72 Member Posts: 7
Hi All

We recently installed a new gas Peerless 63-03 steam boiler in our house and are now planning on replacing the 6" aluminum flue liner with a 6" stainless steel liner. The flue vents the Peerless (118k) and an AO Smith hot water heater (40k). Chimney is 25' tall and runs up the NW side of the house. My contractor has given me quotes for a 6" Homesaver Ultrapro Ti-316 liner or a Smoothwall 6" liner. Wanted to see if anyone has insight into these liners, if there is any reason to pay extra for the Smoothwall, and if there is anything else we should consider beyond safety when choosing the liner. We are new homeowners, so this is all new to us. Any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    My understanding is that smoothwall is better. Just make sure he sizes it right.

not sure about 158k up a 6" liner. Others that have more experience on this will probably respond
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Soothwall is used where you have a push on the liner sizing typically caused by the requirement to de-rate corrugated liner 20% right off the bat. At the firing rates you have I'd use a 5.5" Ultra Pro. You can go bigger but according to the charts it isn't required. A 6" smoothwall would handle around 230 MBH.
  • cd72
    cd72 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks. Appreciate the insight.
  • Leonard
    Leonard Member Posts: 903
    Options
    Sounds like corrugated has a rough inside finish , which should add drag friction , slowing flow rate.