Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burnham Minuteman II hot water heater condensation & pilot problems

Options
My Aunt has a Burnham Minuteman II hot water heater installed in her cottage in Maine. It's installed in the attached garage in its own little room. We've noticed water, sometimes a considerable amount running from the unit and been told that it's condensation from the air vent. If this is true, is there any way to prevent this? More importantly, the pilot light has been clicking on and off fairly rapidly every couple of days and several times we've woken up to no hot water. I'd love to hear any suggestions/fixes anybody has to offer.

Thanks!

Comments

• lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    I'd recommend having someone else check the unit. Has the expansion tank been checked? has the unit been serviced?
  • samuelsewall
    samuelsewall Member Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm not sure the last time it was actually serviced. My Aunt lives in a retirement community and we've had their maintenance look at it and shrug their shoulders. Up until last year, Dead River was the supplier and took good care of it. Now they've switched to another supplier and they've done as little as possible as far as I can tell.
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,967
    Options
    There shouldn't be "a considerable amount of" anything! running from that unit as described.
    It might be time to complain a little more loudly to the company servicing these units. Especially if your aunt is paying the utility bills. Not to mention the loss of hot water.

Check to make sure that the vent is clear of snow, ice, shrubs, bushes etc.

Depending on the type of vent set up you have, one style has a drain plug on the pipe that should be cleared for the draining of condensate in the pipes. This could be the problem you are having considering the lack of maintenance from the new company. The condensate might be dripping on the pilot light . Shutting the pilot light off. ?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,544
    Options
    @samuelsewall

If your aunt is in a retirement community the question is who is responsible for maintenance or replacement of the hot water heater?

If is by building operations than get on there case. Tell them it's a safety issue (it could very well be). If not I would call the local Burnham Rep or find a supply house that sells Burnham equipment and ask them for a service recommendation.