Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Gas Boiler Installation and NYC DOB approval

branimal
branimal Member Posts: 178
I had a new gas boiler installed which replaced an ancient oil boiler. The plumber says he's going to do a preliminary inspection of the work and then he's going to schedule an appointment with the DOB. He also wants his balance paid in full after the preliminary inspection and before the DOB inspection. I paid half up front. I'm worried that the plumber has no incentive to fix any mistakes or schedule a timely inspection once he has 100% of the balance due. I've heard getting NYC DOB permits approved and closed is a tedious process. My inclination is to hold some percentage of the balance until the DOB approves the installation. Any thoughts or advice?

Comments

  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 13,142
    If the boiler is installed and running correctly (post some pictures so we can inspect) and if everything is ok I would pay him 80% total with the balance due after the final inspection
    KC_Jonesbranimal
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,053
    The "preliminary inspection" is meaningless. An oil-to-gas conversion is a permitted job in NYC requiring an LAA pulled by the licensed Plumber of Record and a "live" inspection by an NYC Dept of Buildings Inspector. It sounds like your plumber isn't licensed and wants his money.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting
    Plumbing in NYC or in NJ.
    Take his class.
    branimal
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 13,142
    @JohnNY ,

    If he is ducking the inspection than I wouldn't give him any more money. That's why I suggested pictures so we could see the job. That will tell the story
    branimal
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,053
    Pictures of the job aren’t going to tell us the licensing status of the installer.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting
    Plumbing in NYC or in NJ.
    Take his class.
    branimal
  • branimal
    branimal Member Posts: 178
    Thanks guys. After some hesitation he agreed to accept 1/2 of the balance after the preliminary inspection. That makes him 75% whole. I will hold the remaining 25% until after the final approval from DOB.

    He is licensed.

    I'll post some pics later.
    Rich_49
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 13,142
    Sounds Fair
    branimal