Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replacing 1A valves

Options
Hi,
I have replaced 5 1A Hoffman valves to replace the same ones which were 5 years old. Three of the five are letting steam out when steam reaches them. The old ones did not do that. Any suggested solutions.
Thank you.

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    What pressure does the system run at.
    Picture of control and gauge would help.
    neurosteam
  • Lance
    Lance Member Posts: 270
    Options
    I agree with pressure rating check. Possible dirt in valve, orientation, defective valve, "even new can be defective." Temporarily stuck. I have seen returns made of defective products resold again. Could try a light tapping on the leakers.
    neurosteam
  • neurosteam
    neurosteam Member Posts: 34
    Options
    The boiler is running on 0.5 and 1 on the internal wheel. I will post pictures. The old ones never leaked steam before. I shakes them and put them back in, still same issue.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Do you have a clean pigtail and an accurate gauge to read?
  • neurosteam
    Options
    Pigtail cleaned at start of season. Gauge looks accurate. Boiler shuts down when reaching 1.5-2 psi. I got a box of six. I will try a different one.
  • gfrbrookline
    gfrbrookline Member Posts: 753
    Options
    Your current settings on the pressuretrol should not let it go above 1.5. Letting it go to 2 may be the cause of your vent issues. What gauge are you using to determine pressure.

Your pigtail may be clogged, if you don't have brass pigtails that are less prone to clogging try swapping them out.
    neurosteam
  • neurosteam
    Options
    The Honeywell grey box.
    Pigtails are copper. I will try swapping them.
    I put a new 1A and it only lets out minimal vapor for a little bit then closes. I think the other one was defective. I will return to store, not sure if they accept returns.
    Great help to find this forum. Thank you.
  • gfrbrookline
    Options
    The Hoffman 1A's are very finicky about settings and centering the cap. I much prefer Vent-Rite No. 1's. Much easier to adjust.
    neurosteam
  • neurosteam
    Options
    I will return those 1As and get the vent rites.
    Thank you.
  • gfrbrookline
    Options
    I think you will be much happier with the Vent-rites. The dial makes them easy to adjust and they are very quiet.
    neurosteam