Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Geothermal Grundfos circulation pump making noise

Options
oilbox23
oilbox23 Member Posts: 31
edited February 2019 in THE MAIN WALL
Recently bought a new house with geothermal heat. Twice now over the past month or so the circulation pump(Grundfos 15-10B5) has squealed like crazy. Usually turning the heat down and back up causes it to stop but for the most part its quiet all the time. What else is odd is it seemed to do it at the same time both times it happened..roughly 830-900AM in the morning.

I grabbed a video of it this morning: https://flic.kr/p/SKDpsN

It this something I can service or should I have it serviced and or replaced?

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,132
    Options
    judging by the color hat is a fairly old circulator. The date is on the label year and month 0235 for example would be the 35 week of 2002.

I believe that pump is for a desuperheater that pulls heat for domestic hot water.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    SuperTech
  • oilbox23
    oilbox23 Member Posts: 31
    Options
    So there is a possibility that my geothermal system is heating the water in my house via that pump?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,132
    Options
    Usually that pump works when the HP is in cooling mode, taking some of that exchanged heat energy and using it to make some DHW. Maybe your system has a DHW function?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    edited February 2019
    Options
    geo thermal is a lie, you don't have a geo-thermal system, that's a marketing term for a ground source/water source heat pump which doesn't sound as cool as Geo-Thermal.

You have an efficient heat pump that uses the Earth as a heat source and heat sink by running water through the ground to get it to 55F and running that through a heat exchanger which effectively puts the heat pump in a 55F day whether heating or cooling year round, unaffected by weather.

and you need a new circulator
    SuperTech