Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Oil Condensing Units

Options
GBart
GBart Member Posts: 746
I'm just curious how the new oil condensing units are fairing out. My own experience with them isn't good and when they ran poorly and gooped up with soot slime molasses it wasn't any fun. Are you finding the latest generation better? Avoiding them?

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,539
    Options
    I haven't worked on any but the only news I have herd is bad news. Our company installed a few Adams furnaces and they were ripped out in a year or two. I want nothing to do with them
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 644
    Options
    I've installed a few Buderus condensing oil boilers, this was a number of years ago. Apparently they are no longer imported. These were trouble free for the most part though I did have an issue with a flue temp limit switch. Folks had a hard time with them for some reason.
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
  • captainco
    captainco Member Posts: 793
    Options
    In the 80's when the 1st condensing oil furnaces came out I realized if you don't measure CO Lighting-Running-Shutting Down, they could soot up very quickly after setting them for 0 Smoke only!! Then I had to go against manufacturers recommendations to get them to work. The manufacturer called me after a year and wanted to know why I wasn't calling them with problems.
    SuperTech
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    captainco said:

In the 80's when the 1st condensing oil furnaces came out I realized if you don't measure CO Lighting-Running-Shutting Down, they could soot up very quickly after setting them for 0 Smoke only!! Then I had to go against manufacturers recommendations to get them to work. The manufacturer called me after a year and wanted to know why I wasn't calling them with problems.

Seems like some better controls that monitor flame/adjust air would help.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

SuperTech
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    Have done a couple Firebird boilers. No problems
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    STEVEusaPA
  • GBart
    Options
    We had one of those Peerless downfire condensing at a school and no one could ever get it running right.
  • gerry3
    gerry3 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    New fuel is much cleaner now I think you will see some more technology going this way, Europe has very refined fuel that get away with much more. Have you checked out the new low mass boilers like ek1 from energy kinetic
  • GBart
    Options
    yeah lower sulfur is going to help, I have not seen the energy kinetics condensing run but I'm very familiar with them, the company I worked for was the first in Ct to ever install them when they first started
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,166
    Options
    > @gerry3 said:
    > New fuel is much cleaner now I think you will see some more technology going this way, Europe has very refined fuel that get away with much more. Have you checked out the new low mass boilers like ek1 from energy kinetic

Energy kinetics has a new condensing oil fired boiler? Is this available commercially or residentially? I'm going to have to look into this, as EK is a manufacturer I have always liked. Maybe I'll have to check the website...
  • GBart
    Options
    Our bad, it's a 90+ NON condensing, not sure how that is accomplished

https://energykinetics.com/wp-content/documents/resolute/resolute-oil-spec-sheet.pdf
  • captainco
    Options
    The latent heat value of oil is 8% to 12%. This is direct loss if you don't condense. Every 1% of O2 in the flue gas is another 1% efficiency loss. Every 40 degrees the flue temperature is above combustion air temperature you lose another 1% efficiency.

Can you get 90&+ without condensing? NO!
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    I think EK is going with total system efficiency, not just burn efficiency.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• captainco
    Options
    90% of 90% = 81%
  • GBart
    Options
    EK says it's 90.7% AFUE, so maybe borderline condensing, be interesting to see a combustion analysis and stack temp
  • captainco
    Options
    Unless the return water temperature is below 130 degrees it cannot condense. The flue temperature would have to be the same or higher than the water temperature, preferably higher.