Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Second floor getting too hot

Options
cynthia07104
cynthia07104 Member Posts: 48
edited February 2019 in THE MAIN WALL
After fixing the air vent placement on 3 of our radiators on the second floor it is getting extremely hot. It is almost 5 degrees hotter than the 1st floor. We have DAV 5 vents upstairs and I believe all of downstairs has 4’s... Would installing smaller air vents upstairs allow the radiators to heat up less??

We decided to fix the air vent placement as the radiators were not heating completely leaving us with cold rooms of course now we are faced with the opposite situation.

Comments

• Gsmith
    Gsmith Member Posts: 431
    Options
    yes. Generally the order of corrective work for unbalances one-pipe steam systems is: check pressuretrol for correct (low) settings; good steam main venting; insulate steam mains; then adjust radiators vents by putting slower vents on rooms that are too hot and slightly faster vents on rooms that are too cold. You generally get better results by slowing down the hot rooms first.

I personally like the Ventrite #1 adjustable vents, good quality and easily adjustable.
  • cynthia07104
    cynthia07104 Member Posts: 48
    Options
    @Gary Smith Going to work on balancing this system.. we did have some adjustable vents but the varivalve kind. I have since read those are not ideal as even on the lowest setting they tend to vent fast.
  • Gsmith
    Gsmith Member Posts: 431
    Options
    I agree don’t use varivalve vents, I suggested ventrite 1, they are made by a different company and physically look and are very different.
  • ksd99
    ksd99 Member Posts: 77
    Options
    Ventrite 1 are the best, Ive used Dole and Hoffman and neither come close to the quality and ease to the vent rite.
    New owner of 1 Pipe Steam Boiler - learning all I can- no real steam pro in S.W. Michigan - if you know of 1 -let me know.
  • WillNH
    WillNH Member Posts: 10
    Options
    +1 to the vent-rites! The second floor of my house was also getting way too hot. All the radiator and main vents in my house were old and not working so well. I replaced the main vents with big mouths and the radiator vents with vent-rite 1s, and like magic everything is better. One nice thing about the vent-rites is that you can really turn them down to deal with rooms that are too hot.
    cynthia07104