Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

WM Evergreen vs Lochinvar Knight?

Options
matt_65
matt_65 Member Posts: 19
Putting together a pretty simple system, P/S using a hydrolink 2+1, an Alpha2 pump with zone valves for 2 "high" temp zones (baseboard, hydro air), an Alpha2 pump with no zones after a 3 way mixer for "low" temp (radiant), no DHW for now. ~67k btu heat loss calculated.

Looking at the Knight and Evergreen in the 88-89k output size, they seem pretty similar but I see lots of chatter here on the Knight and almost nothing on the Evergreen?

Both are firetube
Both have 3 tstat inputs with separate configs/priority/ODR
Knight does a 10:1 turndown, Evergreen 5:1
Knight comes with a ECM variable speed Grundfos, Evergreen with a ECM constant speed Taco
Knight has 1 system pump out, Evergreen has 1 pump per tstat plus an aux you configure per input
Knight is a bit more expensive

The Evergreen's controls seem to help me out in this case, I could wire all 3 zones using the endstops with just an extra 24vac transformer to drive the valves. The Knight would need relays/controller or their multi temp add-on to do the same, which increases the price difference/complexity a bit more.

Trying to think if the 10:1 and hassle of extra controls are worth it vs. the less expensive 5:1 with an easier setup in this case?

Comments

• DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Options
    Nice to have 10:1 especially when zoning.
    Gordydelta T
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    I'd go wth the Knight. The control is really nice and the 10:1 may save you from needing a buffer tank? I'd also consider using a Taco iSeries reset mixing valve.
    Steve Minnich
    delta T