Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

WM Evergreen vs Lochinvar Knight?

matt_65matt_65 Posts: 19Member
Putting together a pretty simple system, P/S using a hydrolink 2+1, an Alpha2 pump with zone valves for 2 "high" temp zones (baseboard, hydro air), an Alpha2 pump with no zones after a 3 way mixer for "low" temp (radiant), no DHW for now. ~67k btu heat loss calculated.

Looking at the Knight and Evergreen in the 88-89k output size, they seem pretty similar but I see lots of chatter here on the Knight and almost nothing on the Evergreen?

Both are firetube
Both have 3 tstat inputs with separate configs/priority/ODR
Knight does a 10:1 turndown, Evergreen 5:1
Knight comes with a ECM variable speed Grundfos, Evergreen with a ECM constant speed Taco
Knight has 1 system pump out, Evergreen has 1 pump per tstat plus an aux you configure per input
Knight is a bit more expensive

The Evergreen's controls seem to help me out in this case, I could wire all 3 zones using the endstops with just an extra 24vac transformer to drive the valves. The Knight would need relays/controller or their multi temp add-on to do the same, which increases the price difference/complexity a bit more.

Trying to think if the 10:1 and hassle of extra controls are worth it vs. the less expensive 5:1 with an easier setup in this case?

Comments

• DZoroDZoro Posts: 746Member
    Nice to have 10:1 especially when zoning.
  • Steve MinnichSteve Minnich Posts: 2,270Member
    I'd go wth the Knight. The control is really nice and the 10:1 may save you from needing a buffer tank? I'd also consider using a Taco iSeries reset mixing valve.
    Steve Minnich
    Tell me I can't, and I'll show you I can.