Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replacing lift fittings - what impact on vacuum pump?

Options
I'm working with a 13 story building with 4 long horizontal gravity return lines at first floor ceiling level. Each line has a lift fitting about mid-way back to the plant. In "The Lost Art" it is recommended to replace the lift fittings with transfer pumps, which makes sense. But I wonder if doing so doesn't divorce the downstream return risers from the vacuum source, losing the associated benefits of air removal and better distribution of steam throughout the system.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    The discussion in the lost art is about ways to eliminate lift fittings....not that they don't work but it works the vacuum pump hard and uses a lot of electricity. How you pipe it using lift fittings, accumulator tanks or transfer pumps is a little complicated so you have to refer to TLA. And will differ from job to job depending on the job specific piping.

I believe you connect the condensate pump discharge and the condensate vent fro your new tanks into the existing return line which is pulled into a vacuum by the vac pump
    SteveZ