Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Piping configuration

Tom Sherman
Tom Sherman Member Posts: 19
I'm putting together an educational program for home inspectors on hot water boiler inspections and ran across something I was hoping someone could clear up. I read through Dan's diverter tee Q&A and he mentioned that the tee should be placed on the return end of the pipe. One of the other sites I was researching has a monoflo tee placed on both the supply side and return side, which really doesn't make sense to me. It is on the internet, however, so I'm sure it's true! Any help with this would be much appreciated. Thanks!


  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Radiators above the main use one tee on the return side.

    Radiators below the main use a tee on both the return and the supply. Separate these two tees the same width of the radiator.
    Steve Minnich
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,605
    What @Steve Minnich describes above is the usual method. However if the branch piping to and from the radiation is long monoflow tees may have been used on the supply and return
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,183
    The monoflo tee will function when installed on either side of the branch piping, but the return side is the preferred location.