Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Replace one radiator (TRV) with in-floor loop, which parts needed?

alesagealesage Posts: 1Member
In the middle of a renovation I've discovered one of my radiators is unusable, would like to experiment with an in-floor loop for this room.

I have a Weil-McLain Aquabalance combi boiler, 6-zone system, with TRVs for each radiator, and I'm using a Taco infinitely variable pump--it's very much like this Siegenthaler system.

I believe that I can simply run the loop in place of the radiator with a few extra parts, and I'm hoping to be corrected :smiley: .

A few questions:

I know that I'll need a three-way mixing valve to adjust the temperature, and I think the pump should supply the head I'll need. I think I still want a TRV? If I leave the loop open, e.g. just with the mixing valve, that loop will always be calling for heat. So the TRV, then a three-way mixing valve?

Secondly is the TRV just sticking up out of the floor? What kinds of controls do we use that can be embedded in walls or floors? I like the primitive no-electronics, no-fuss TRV style and I have wall dials for all the other radiators.

Thanks all, these forums have been very helpful in getting up and running.

Comments