Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
2 pipe direct return (hydronic)
Would like some help troubleshooting my heating system.
- Hydronic, 2 pipe direct return.
- 100 years old, was previously a gravity system with big cast iron supply pipes.
- Now has a B&G circulator on the return side.
- Building is 2 floors with 2 supply / return loops. Each loop spans the front or back half of the building.
- Each loops starts as a long horizontal branch (3" pipes) that eventually travel up 1st and then up to 2nd floor.
- 3/4" T's split off the main branch to each cast iron radiator
- Radiators have been bled.
1st floor radiators are 110F surface temp (Room temperature 68F)
2nd floor radiators are 140F surface temp (Room temperature 72F)In a 2 pipe direct return + circulator, wouldn't the 1st floor rads get the most flow?
Why are my 1st FL rads not getting hot as upstairs? The problem may have started when I installed TRV valves on the 1st floor. I installed them to control 1st floor temperature. the 2nd floor radiators.
Note, the 3/4" supply / return pipe coming off the radiators are both hot.
BTW, I installed Honeywell V110 valves. The valves are not stuck. I also unscrewed the control to test if they were defective, but the rads don't get any hotter. https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.supplyhouse.com/product_files/V110E1012-Submittal Sheet.pdf