Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant floor

Options
Snowmelt
Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,415
I don’t know if there is a simple answer for this question. I have radiant in a small bathroom and small kitchen, what should the slab temperature be set up?

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    To meet the load. Need the heat loss, available floor space to make it happen. Slab, sleeper, staple up?
    GroundUp
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    Options
    For small spot slabs like that I really like the stats with the floor sensor option. Uponor and tekmar were my favorites. Some of my customers would idle the bathroom floors at 80F slab temperature even in cooling season. Hard to live without warm tile floors :)

You can set a not to exceed temperature, or a not to go below temperature on the slab sensor. Ambient also controls if the space does start to overheat.

A load calc and design would give you SWT for design condition.

Bathrooms and kitchens can be a challenge as small floor space available for radiant output with cabinets, tubs, appliances, etc. Especially if the rooms have windows and two outside walls.

Heated towel bars are always a nice addition in bathrooms for supplemental and towel warming.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,415
    Options
    I don't need to heat the bathroom or kitchen for space heat. ( I did a little experiment where I left the radiant off when the temperature outside was between 45 and 40 degree's, the rooms where the same temp as the hall wall thermostat 68 degree's) My wife feet and mine where cold to the point where we had to wear sox.
    I just want to warm the floor with the floor sensor to keep my feet warm and the wife happy.
    I have a tekmar with the floor sensor.
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    Then, to your comfort level so long as the SWT doesn't exceed the max for the floor covering or concrete max.
    Steve Minnich
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Usually @ floor temp of 75* +/- is a neutral feel.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    Options
    Keep in mind any radiant heat added to a space that is already at 70° ambient from another source will overheat that space, mostly in rooms where the door is closed.

If your skin temperature at the bottom of your bare feet is 82F, anything below that will feel cool. I've found around 80 surface temperature feels warm to bare feet.

Ever read Dans article Cool 70°? He talks about taking a thermometer down the frozen food aisle in a supermarket.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,284
    Options
    hot rod_7 said:

Ever read Dans article Cool 70°? He talks about taking a thermometer down the frozen food aisle in a supermarket.

Here it is: https://heatinghelp.com/blog/mean-radiant-temperature-explained/
    President
    HeatingHelp.com