Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The tilted water line

clammy
clammy Member Posts: 3,127
I’ll try to make it short .Had a steam leaks on a rad bad spot so I cut and capped the supply .i had been to this job a few weeks early to check on some distribution issues on the steam system . She was piped badly and no insulation a repipe was out of the question being the boiler was 21 years old and looked in fairly bad shape no skim tape and single outlet undersized header in copper very common in nj .I did a little surgery and got a skim tee in and a new ball valve drain on boiler being the one there was a right angle valve used a wand tool to wash her out from the top skim drained skimmed again and got her crystal clear She ran great went back repair the leak started her up and the water line in the glass disappeared completely until I shut the burner off and waited a few minutes and she was back to normal turned her back on same stuff so we drain and filled a few times skimed again and got the water clear and no tilting and miminum surging The one thing I noticed aside from the skim water color was the feel of it which felt very slippery compared to rubbing water between my fingers I gather the leak on the run out and the boiler bad near boiler piping enabled the boiler to throw a lot of water and wet steam into the main n washed out years of chemicals which then made the boiler prime and surge So some times when u see one piped badly and surging badly give her a good cleaning before u totally condem the boiler piping sometimes abide it’s not right but functions some what look at the water I will say in over 30 years this was the worse dis appearing water trick I have every seen on a boiler on another note they need a boiler this one has been worked hard and put to bed wet and a new one will not be undersized by bout 150 edr Can’t make it up peace and good luck clammy
R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
NJ Master HVAC Lic.
Mahwah, NJ
Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,998
    Good catch. Might not have thought of that. They must have put a ton of stuff in their