Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Power vent suction line frozen

Options
Figure I start a new thread. Today my new penco boiler was off pipes almost frozen solid again... . Thought it was LWCO but plumber who came out said that there was ice in power vents suction or vacuum line. It looked like the end of a straw cut at a slant. Anyway ice was in it and it wasn't triggering the boiler on. Vent would run but no flame. Please tell me that there is a solution to this problem. Power vent is the only option chimney was taken down for safety reasons. This is what I installed :
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Field-Controls-SWG-4HD-4-Power-Venter-170000-BTU?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpqiSgOmb4AIVymSGCh0aSw_BEAQYAyABEgIlVvD_BwE

Comments

• DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Options
    Make sure exhaust temps are always above 200*. Installed exactly to the installation manual.
    D
    Thecrow
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    If ice was in there it came it from the outside. Heavy wind blowing snow load could have done it. Usually the burner runs enough to keep that area from freezing.
    Where are you located? Did this happen during unusually cold temps this week?
    steve
    Thecrow
  • Thecrow
    Thecrow Member Posts: 57
    Options
    Yes it was 35 minus zero, the windchill. It's been extremely cold here in northeast PA. Trying to think of a way to insulate it or maybe the hole it blows into isn't deep enough. Can't believe it's designed to shut off my boiler! Guess it's a safety feature
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    Sure is. If the power venter wasn’t running you wouldn’t want the burner running.
    steve
    Thecrow
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Options
    Check the owners manual about insulating it. Something to keep in mind and check when those temps are around. If the system hasn't been maintained there may already have been some blockage there and just went North from that point.
    D
    Thecrow
  • Thecrow
    Thecrow Member Posts: 57
    Options
    It's only about 4 months old I think that because of the weather it happened. The plumbing suppliers where I bought it from had the same exact model running today. I asked and they said they never had any problems but some of their customers has same issue. I must insulate!
    DZoro