Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Copper fin baseboard

Options
kcopp
kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
What have you guys found to be the most durable copper fin tube baseboard to be?
I realize CI would be super but that's not in the budget for a rental unit. I like Sterling Kompac but am looking for other options I may not know of...
ty,kcopp

Comments

• GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,907
    Options
    There is no such thing as copper BB durable enough for a rental unit IMO. If not the element smashed flat and full of trash, the covers are missing and/or torn off the wall. And even CI there's the risk of being sued from someone getting burned. I switched all my rentals to forced air except one is staple up now. Couldn't keep up replacing baseboard
    kcoppBenK
  • MikeL_2
    MikeL_2 Member Posts: 489
    Options
    I prefer the Sterling Senior. The enclosure, damper, & trim seem to be a thicker grade of sheet metal, and their stamping / bending pattern is strong & durable. The paint holds up well also. We'll reinforce the install when needed with small self tapping screws on the end caps & trim pieces......
    kcopp
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,142
    Options
    While I have not installed much in the past 10 years the SlantFin #30 used to be a nice heavy gauge and I liked the hinged damper design.

The Heating Edge looks to be a nice build, I have a small sample piece, fairly $$ from what I understand.

I'd rather see panel rads if the metal gauge is a concern :)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    kcopp
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    usually use Sterling. petite, senior or kompak whatever will fit. It gets damaged like anything else. Slant fin is ok too.

That's all there is unless you use some commercial/industrial stuff
    kcopp
  • BenK
    BenK Member Posts: 14
    Options
    @GroundUp I have a few apts and a rental house. I put baseboard in all the apts. In the house I put in an air handler with a heating coil so I could basically put in central heat & air, but I couldn't get ductwork up stairs, so I installed baseboard in the 2nd floor. I know what you mean about tenants banging up and beating the crap out of the baseboard covers. Some tenants are better than others, some of them actually respect their rental and treat it like their own home and others couldn't care less and trash the place.
    "Don't try to win an argument; instead, try to have a conversation." -Steve Deace
    kcoppGroundUp
  • GroundUp
    Options
    @BenK I've got a handful of single family homes and do a bit of "flipping" as well, as much as I hate not being able to employ my hydronic services in my own properties it just doesn't make financial sense. As a rule, I've got good tenants but there just comes a point that hydronic heat is stupid for a rental and honestly it's a bad selling point for most homes. Baseboard and rads are both ugly for the most part, and most homeowners prefer the type of heat that isn't seen or heard. Radiant is awesome, but largely cost prohibitive in most cases for rentals. I just did a full radiant ceiling in a flipper house last week to get rid of electric baseboard and it turned out awesome, but I probably won't see my money back in all honesty
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    @GroundUp … Radiators are Ugly?? That's Heresy around here... ;)
    Canucker
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Panel rads look very elegant in my opinion. Ci rads are just classy :)
    kcoppCanucker
  • GroundUp
    Options
    I guess I'm a heretic.... Rads are ugly, panel or CI. Comfort is definitely hard to beat, but they're largely hideous IMO