Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant System Share

Options
winesalot
winesalot Member Posts: 32
Thought I would share the radiant boiler and main distribution manifold I have been building in the garage of our rental house while we get construction started on our 8100 sqft winery/tasting room/home. The entire building will have 5 slave distribution manifolds (not pictured) feeding nearly 10,000 ft of 1/2" pex tubing in a 6" slab. The main copper lines are 1-1/4". I am not quite done with the 1/2" copper so the prv & back-flow preventer are not in the picture nor is the pressure tank hooked up. (I decided to install a union at the pressure tank but didn't have one on hand so the 1/2" stuff has to wait a day or two.) I have not done a pressure test yet but will shortly.

This is my first time working with copper. It has been a great learning experience

GordyHarvey Ramer

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,139
    Options
    Very nice work. Be sure those headers can accommodate the gpm demand of the zone pumps. 5 circs requiring 6 gpm each would require a header able to handle 30 gpm at 2-4 FPS velocity range.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • winesalot
    edited January 2019
    Options
    hot rod_7 said:

Very nice work. Be sure those headers can accommodate the gpm demand of the zone pumps. 5 circs requiring 6 gpm each would require a header able to handle 30 gpm at 2-4 FPS velocity range.

All I can say is I paid a professional designer put the plan together for me. A second system designer wanted to quote the parts so he looked over the calculations and design and confirmed it would work well. I sure hope so.

2 of those circuits supply heat to our 3600 sqft winery which is only heated to 55f and there is a huge thermal mass in that space in the form of wine in barrels. The third circuit is for shop space. The last two (actually the two on the left in the picture) are for spaces that will be heated to normal room temperatures. One is for our 2000 sqft tasting room and the other a 1250 sqft residence.
    Rich_49
  • duffy_4
    duffy_4 Member Posts: 79
    Options
    Nice job on the soldering looks clean and neat .i agree with hot rod tho,and my only suggestions would be some isolation valves for the pumps,boiler and distribution header
  • winesalot
    edited January 2019
    Options
    duffy_4 said:

Nice job on the soldering looks clean and neat .i agree with hot rod tho,and my only suggestions would be some isolation valves for the pumps,boiler and distribution header

I though about that but decided that unions for the boiler and the bolt on connections for each pump should be enough. I am using water with no glycol so if I have to repair/replace the boiler or a pump I'll just drain the system, make the repair, and fill it back up.
  • RetrosPex
    RetrosPex Member Posts: 56
    Options
    Nice looking work. I second Duffy's comments about installing shut-off valves. At the minimum I'd simply remove the pumps, and install a threaded shut-off at each pump, which will just move your out-feed piping up a few inches. You don't want to have to drain a complete system if it can be avoided. I also like using the Uni-strut clamps that have the plastic isolation piece that snaps around the copper. It helps keep things quiet. Out of curiosity, how many BTU is the boiler? Anyway, looks really nice.
  • winesalot
    Options
    It's a 40.5 kW - 138K BTU - 208V - 3 Phase Boiler