Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Watts S1156f rebuild kits

Options
grtpumpkin
grtpumpkin Member Posts: 12
Was looking for a rebuild kit for the Watts S1156f water pressure regulator. Noticed a Watts part# of RK 1156f or 0884390. Appears this kit is discontinued. I find it silly to have to replace an entire regulator when all thats needed is some worn rubber bits. Same goes for those Taco 571-2 zone valves. What gives? Anyone know of a source for rebuild kits?

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    Re-build is a waste of time. Just replace it.
    SuperTech
  • grtpumpkin
    grtpumpkin Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Kcopp.
    Don't take offense to this but to me the just replace it attitude is a lazy man's (copp) out attitude. I was born in 1962 and I do not subscribe to this throw away world mentality. Would seem to me it would be a lot more efficient to replace worn o rings and diaphragms rather than the more invasive cut and solder method, especially when there is absolutely nothing wrong with the housing or body assembly . But, it is what it is, a throw away world and all that matters is money, money , money. When was the last time someone overhauled an alternator or starter? Doesn't happen anymore. Well I do, I'm a die hard. It's easier to just replace assemblies. I get it though, time is money. Although I could actually overhaul my watts s1156f faster than I could replace it. I suck at soldering. LOL!
    SuperTech
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    If you have the time, have at it... I just would hate to go to all that work only to have it not work and/or leak. As a contractor I don't have the time or want the liability should it not work.
    Intplm.HVACNUTSuperTechSTEVEusaPA
  • grgrumpy
    grgrumpy Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I am just like grtpumpkin.

The repair kit is discontinued and quite expensive if you find one. Someone already suggested to buy a new valve 1156F then just exchange the inner parts. I have 1156F and S1156F valves and their papers list the same repair kit. By the way, the paper recommend to clean the screener at least twice a year! I am thinking about a cheap water filter before the valve and change this filter instead of the valve's filter.

If you want to take apart the valve, you need 1" socket.

grgrumpy
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    Sometime the brass seat becomes damaged, a rebuild kit will not fix that
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    Some brands of high flow boiler feed valves are super simple to clean or replace the innards. If you do decide to upgrade.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    dbsoccerSTEVEusaPA
  • dbsoccer
    dbsoccer Member Posts: 34
    Options
    I have a S1156F on my system. The system pressure is low 9-10 psi so I set out today to adjust the prv. I figured a couple of small turns to the right and the pressure would come up. Wrong! The pressure went down and then up and then down. Same if I turned the adjusting screw counter clockwise. Everything points to rebuild or replace. Given the location of this valve, rebuilding will be possible. Replacing may require the removal of a wall. :smile: (just kidding). Because the kit was no longer available I ordered a complete valve.

grgrumpy, from the repair kick it looks like the process is pretty simple. Remove the four screws that hold the bonnet. Remove the gasket. Use a 1" socket to remove the internal mechanism. And then do the reverse using the new parts. It appears there is some sort of gasket or washer between the internals and the valve body.