Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Preferred Method to Pipe Counter Pitch?

Options
I had asked this question at the end of a different thread, but don't think it was seen - hopefully this is ok to repost:

I have seen two examples given of how to connect a header to a counter pitch main. Is there a preference for one over the other or any advice on where one should be used over the other:

Example A: The drip is at the end of the main and the header comes down into the tee.
As seen here:

Example B: The drip drops from just before the end of the main and the header comes up into an elbow at the end of the tee.
As seen here:

Thanks.

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    I would say the drip, before the end of the riser into the main (like your 2nd picture) and the riser dropping down into the main (like your 1st picture) would be the best way to pipe a counter flow. That way no water is going to flow into the riser and all condensate is drained before it reaches the riser the source of the steam (the riser). At a minimum, I would go with the configuration in your second picture and not the first
  • mroberts5
    mroberts5 Member Posts: 76
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Is there any chance for water to get trapped in the elbow?
  • Fred
    Options
    mroberts5 said:

Is there any chance for water to get trapped in the elbow?

Not if there is a slight pitch in the right direction.
  • mroberts5
    Options
    But since its counter pitch, it will be pitched back to the elbow, no?
  • Fred
    Options
    The main will be pitched back to the boiler and elbow but the horizontal portion of the drip also needs a slight pitch to the vertical, down to the wet return.
  • mroberts5
    Options
    OK, I sketched up what I think your suggesting. Do I have this right? Its at the point I labeled low point that I was curious if water would collect.

• Fred
    Options
    Yes, That is the configuration I was talking about. Water (condensate should not pool there. It should run down the drip before it ever gets to that elbow. Any little bit of water that might sit in that elbow won't be enough to cause a problem. I think if you look at the installation manual for your boiler, it will show a diagram for a counter flow installation and it will show the riser dropping down into the main.
    Let's see what others might think.
  • New England SteamWorks
    New England SteamWorks Member Posts: 1,505
    Options
    Either configuration is perfectly acceptable.
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,111
    Options
    For what it’s worth I always perfer the 1 st method when room permits using the over head feed and drip at the end never any pooling .the other method I have used is to attach your tees bull directly to the counter flow main feed in the top and drip out the bottom .the mid line drip I usually reserve to use on long mains that produce to much condensate and effect the end of the mains last few rad itor runs with wet steam .i have reconnect knuckleheadedremoved drip on long mains and resolved issue that drove building owners and tech crazy . As dan once said the problem and the fix are usually not in the same place sometimes u have to get out of the boiler room and take a look about peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating