Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How to balance a pex manifold?

Options
Ed Lentz_2
Ed Lentz_2 Member Posts: 158
I have a 4 zone pex manifold. It is a Stadler Viega Brass manifold.

I have poor heat transfer in two of the zones. They are fairly the same length, if I remember right. Put the system in over 15 years ago. The controller is a Stadler Basic (Rebranded Tekmar I am told). I did some crude temp measurements using a instant meat thermometer on the Pex itself near the manifold coupling. Here is the results. In the temp difference between source and return

Zone 1 28 degrees
zone 2 5 degrees
Zone 3 3 degrees
Zone 4 10 degrees.

The zones that are the coldest are 1 & 3

I have searched all over on balancing, but nothing specific on this manifold. Is it just a matter of adjusting the valves on the source for each zone? I have no way to ascertain the flow rate. Would it be possible to have an air bubble in a zone or two? That would keep the circulation to a minimum wouldn't it? I do have air traps
installed. One other question, the Oventrop on the right. What is it's purpose? When I installed this I had the help of a Master Boiler Installer. He spent hours drawing up my system , sold me the stuff and stood inspection with me. He has since past away so I am left to some of my own failing memories :((

Thanks for any ideas

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,139
    Options
    If it has worked in the past, I’d suspect that Oventrop not opening fully. I think it is a master ZV for the entire manifold, or is it an adjustable TRV.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Ed Lentz_2
    Options
    It is a TRV But only moves from 1 - 3 Never was to clear on ist purpose there
  • Ed Lentz_2
    Options
    How does that valve open, on a downward force or up?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,139
    Options
    So it has a sensor into the room? Higher number typically higher temperature. Remove the head and it should be wide open, full supply temperature
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Ed Lentz_2
    Options
    I removed the TRV and the house is 5 degrees warmer this morning. This is a good thing. I also opened all the valves to allow full flow on all the zones.