Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Switching from Propane to Wood boiler.

Options
woopud
woopud Member Posts: 10
My wife and I bought this awesome huge 240 year old brick house and absolutely love it. The previous owner had cut of all the pipes of the radiators flush with the floor and disregarded the radiators for whatever reason.... She did install a 120,000 BTU propane boiler and had some radiators in only two rooms. I added baseboard radiators in one upstaris bedroom and newly build bathroom. To heat just these areas is about $500 in propane for 1 month. i'm seriously thinking about installing a woodburning boiler in my basement and hope it will be cheaper to heat. Any comments on my ideas?

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    There is quite a bit involved to do a wood boiler properly. It will take a buffer tank, backup boiler properly piped and some properly installed controls to maximize and allow automatic switching. There are not a lot of contractors around that do these hybrid systems the best, most efficient way. cost is one of the drivers.

I have plenty of piping and wiring schematics if you decide to go this route.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • woopud
    woopud Member Posts: 10
    Options
    hot rod 7,

Thanks for the reply, I'm a general contractor myself, but untill I moved out East a couple of years ago I wasnt' familiar with hydronic heating at all. I'm not afraid taking on the challenge and doing the installation myself but just need some guidance on what all I need so your help is appreciated!

Bert
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,908
    Options
    Plenty of ways to make this work. What's heating the rest of the house if there's only 2 rooms with radiation? Indoor wood boilers can be a real pain in the butt if not properly designed and installed, as hot rod pointed out. Buffer tanks are seldom necessary if the rest is done properly, but it will all depend on boiler and load. Have you had a heat loss calculation done?