Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Valve location, size, and height for using Burnham Baseray on one pipe system

Options
slyon
slyon Member Posts: 2
edited January 2019 in Strictly Steam
I am adding a short 5.5' length of the Burnham Baseray CI bb units to an existing system. The inlet is very close to the floor and wall, leaving seemingly insufficient space for a valve to be placed with adequate clearances for the valve and adequate height for condensate drainage into the valve. It seems that I will need to raise the radiator to enable downhill flow of condensate into the valve to avoid water hammer. In order to do this it seems I could wall mount the unit somehow (or put tall feet on it) to get the needed height going into the valve. It also seems that the valve will need to be offset from the wall, with the valve inlet going towards the wall to a close nipple then 90 elbow reducing from 1" to 3/4 into the radiator. Does this make sense? Also, should I reduce from 1" to 3/4" before or after the valve?

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,567
    Options
    Skip the valve up top and put the valve under the floor in the basement. If the baseboard is 3/4" put a 1 x 3/4 90 on it with a short nipple into the baseboard.

5.5 feet isn't long but you need to pitch it back toward the elbow.

If it was mine I would pitch it the other way and hook it up two pipe. You wont need much pitch if hooked up two pipe.Their are ways to do this with a one pipe system. If you post back we can tell you how if interested.
  • slyon
    slyon Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Wow, thanks for prompt reply. Unfortunately, this is a second floor room, can't put valve under floor. For 2 -pipe, I would have to pipe the two pipes from the basement boiler to the second floor room; not impossible. I am tapping off of 1 1/2" riser with T to radiator in adjacent room.
    Steve