Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Interesting Swiss construction method

Gordy
Gordy Member Posts: 9,531

Then note the radiant floor assembly in this building video. using the all wood construction method.
Solid_Fuel_ManCanucker

Comments

• Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 510
    very pretty buildings
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,257
    Funny you posted this @Gordy. I just watched that same video yesterday.

Essentially a really thick plywood wall, but with wooden nails! I think it really illustrates the importance of air tightness rather than some claim of R value alone.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    Gordykcopp
  • Gordy
    edited January 2019
    Yes the wooden beech nails, and dowels were a nice touch. I thought the shop automation was cool also.

I’ve seen, and dealt with the solid 2x floors in an old 1860’s brewery Reno project. They were any where from 2x8-2x12. Very strong spans that you can cut an opening of considerable size just about anywhere in the span, with out worry of structural integrity. Like an opening for a stairway.
  • Gordy
    I also think that radiant floor method is intriguing. The ceiling radiant from the floor radiant above would be a low output fed from gentle back losses of that assembly.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 4,917
    Wonder how they handle termites?
    steve
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,520
    Do they have any trees left in Switzerland or do they import all the wood? >:)
  • Gordy
    This is all native timber to the country Fred. Also European habits are houses stay in families for generations. Not like here. Different mind set in ROI. Not a bad way of thinking either.
  • Gordy
    They also state in the video that it’s certainly not the cheapest method, but is the cleanest method of keeping chemical impregnated materials out of the living space.
  • Gordy
    Termites are not native to Switzerland.
  • iuraf
    iuraf Member Posts: 1
    edited April 8
    Swiss people know what they are doing when it comes to buildings. I had to occasion to visit Switzerland 2 years ago and I must admit that I've never seen a country so clean and well organized. It's true that they have huge taxes and huge salaries, but they are very educated people. I've visited a couple of cities and I was simply impressed. I've spoken with someone from midmodphoenix.com in order to help me remodel my house because I've wanted to change some things after seeing the ones in Switzerland. I cannot wait to go back, to be honest