Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wall hung radiator or radiant floor for 12x15 kitchen?

Options
We have a modern gas boiler (Weil McLain 97+) and 3 zones: downstairs, upstairs, and (first floor) half bath. The half bath uses radiant floors below tile; the other rooms have Baseray cast iron baseboard. Both systems work well and produce enough heat.

Our kitchen is 12'x15' and is currently heated by an 8' Baseray; it also probably gets some heat from the Baseray in the dining room, which is connected by a ~7' cased opening. We are looking to renovate the kitchen and would like to remove the radiator in order to be able to have base cabinets along that wall. There is not another 8' section of wall to move it to. So we will need to replace it with something else; the question is what. A radiant floor or a thin European-style wall hung radiator (or towel rack?) seem like the best options (but let me know if I have missed another good one!)

Because of the cabinets (2' deep on 3 sides), we could heat up to a 10'x11' rectangle of floor in the kitchen, or we could hang a steel wall radiator (up to ~36" wide, with an ~8' ceiling). The basement is full-height and unfinished, and the boiler is directly under the kitchen, so access to the underside of the kitchen floor is easy. The kitchen floor itself has multiple layers of flooring; the top layer is laminate and we don't know exactly what is below it, but all the layers together make it about 1/2" to 3/4" higher than the hardwood floors in the adjacent rooms. We are reluctant to strip the floors down since 1) the laminate is in fine shape and 2) there may well be asbestos tile and mastic to deal with.

What factors should I consider when making the decision? Which is likely to be cheaper to install, and to run? Will a steel wall radiator heat up too fast and cool down too fast if it is combined with the existing cast iron? Will radiant heat need a new zone? Will a steel wall radiator need a new zone? Will it be uncomfortable to stand right next to the wall radiator (and conversely, will it be chilly in the opposite corner)? Which is likely to be more reliable long-term? Will having steel on the same zone as cast iron cause any corrosion problems?

Thank you!