Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Unusual (for me) radiator valve

Grallert
Grallert Member Posts: 708
edited January 2019 in Strictly Steam
I've been meaning to ask you all this for a while but things do tend to move around on my list here at MHS. Anyway This or these valves are on our radiators in our performance hall. This system was at one time a vacuum system but is now living off the boilers for the rest of the main building. That's really here nor there. I've never seen this type of valve before. The reason I'm even bringing it up is that I was just in the hall to listen for a hissing radiator. I found it... There is a broken corroded return pipe. I'll replace it but the valve doesn't close of course, it moves freely maybe too freely but it wont close. I guess I'm just chattering on here but I'd really love to learn more about this valve.
Thanks everyone.
M

Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,578
    Thermostatic radiator valves have been around since the 1920s. I believe this is one of them.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 708
    Thanks for the reply and confirmation. This is what I suspected as well. This building was completed in 1928 if I recall. I'm going to have to dig through the building plans and see if I can find who produced them. I'd be pretty happy to turn these into a summer restoration project.
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,578
    Nice. Thanks!
    Retired and loving it.