Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Check out my piping

Options
jlo1029
jlo1029 Member Posts: 33
Having removed all the old really gross fiberglass wrap insulation in anticipation of getting the clamshell kind, I figured it was a good chance for some photos.
I'm a newbie but from reading We Got Steam Heat I do not see anything drastically wrong other than that lone copper pipe. What do the experts think?

Regarding that one pipe...it makes annoying expansions noises but from what I've read seems like it's reasonable to just leave it alone rather than replace prophylactically. But feel free to try to convince me otherwise. ;)

Thanks!

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    The only thing I see, that stands out is the vent on that main/return is way to small to properly vent the main.
    Also, that copper pipe, which I assume is a radiator feed has to be draining back into the header, rather than flowing down the main and into the return off of the main.
    Does that convince you to move that feed further onto the horizontal part of the main and while you're at it to replace it with black iron?
  • jlo1029
    jlo1029 Member Posts: 33
    Options
    Ha, perhaps. I'm on the wait list with a recommended steam company here, just trying to save on gas bills in the meantime. I actually have 2 of those vents.. worth the $ to upgrade to big mouths?
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    I don't know how long your Main is but if it's at least 20 ft or more, the Big Mouth costs about the same as a Gorton #2 and has about 2.5 times the venting capacity of the Gorton #2, so yes it is definitely worth the money. Changing that venting and re-insulating the main will probably save you more on fuel cost than anything else you might do