Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Automatic water feeder on steam boiler

Options
Presenting problem: boiler periodically turns off and customer restarts it by pushing manual feed button on the McDonnell Miller WFE-24 feeder. I found sludge in the ports of the gauge glass and in the Pressuretrol pigtail. Everything was cleaned, the boiler completely drained and refilled. The feeder came on (it did stop twice briefly) and the boiler fired up. Two days later the customer had the same problem.
Any suggestions?

Thank you.
Ron

Comments

• Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,974
    Options
    I'm not sure but I think that unit has a Wye strainer built into it. That might also be the problem.
    Try flushing water through the strainer. You probably have a continuing sludge problem.
    Skimming and further cleaning should help.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    Another issue, if I am understanding your description, is that seems like a lot of water loss. The boiler was full and 2 days later the feeder is calling for water. That feeder shouldn't feed more than a couple times a season not every 2 days.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    anthonybsd
  • anthonybsd
    anthonybsd Member Posts: 12
    Options
    It definitely sounds like an abnormally high water loss. Did you verify that the Pressuretrol is operating normally ( shutoff at the right PSI confirmed by the gauge)? If it has trouble controlling pressure it could be blowing safety release valve (at 15 PSI) which would contribute to water loss. Any leaks anywhere in the system? Any leaks on any of the radiators? Any holes in the boiler itself?
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    I may be reading the OP wrong but my interpretation is that he cleaned the pigtail and gauge glass and he drained and refilled the boiler and two days later the home owner had to manually restart the boiler. It sounds to me like it could be any of the safeties, the pressuretrol, a spill switch, a flame roll out switch or even a poor connection on one of the boiler components.
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    What triggers the feeder?
    Confirm whether the feeder is getting triggered on low water.
    If it isn't check the level control. If it is, confirm that water is getting past the feeder..
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Wow @Abracadabra ! Where the Hell have you been? :D
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    been a bit busy and too tired after a long day to spend time on forums :(

Thankfully we're catching up