Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco zone controls

Options
grtpumpkin
grtpumpkin Member Posts: 12
First time poster here. Had an issue with a Taco Zone valve recently (571-2) Found 2 issues with the valve assembly. Power head end switch would not open to shut off circulator and also found debris in the actual brass valve assembly. Got everything sorted out with a new power head and a good cleaning of the guts. All is happy now. This took a while to diagnose and figure out. This was a headache as the zone valve wiring for this 4 zone setup is a wad of spaghetti inside a junction box on the ceiling. Not fun. Very confusing to chase all the connections. This got me thinking there must be a better way. Enter the Taco Zone Controls. I would like to purchase a ZVC 404-4 or 405-4. Was contemplating the 405-4 model over the 404-4 to have room for expansion of another separate zone in the future. I also like the fact that these controls have priority for the hot water zone as well as cleaning up the wiring mess and actually indicating the current zones that are in use. I want one.
Question I have is there any problem with the 405-4 as far as not utilizing all 5 zones? Will it function with one empty zone bay for expansion?
Also, is there a source for just the o rings for the inner workings of the 571-2 valve? I know they sell the kit # 571-004rp, but for the price, may as well order the complete valve.

Rich.

Comments

• JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,231
    Options
    No problem. I often order the relay with an extra slot for future use or if one relay goes bad. As far as o-rings goes, you can probably call Taco and they'll send them to you or guide you to a retailer who can order them for you but I've never heard of anyone stocking them. You may want to just swap the whole thing out.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    STEVEusaPATinmanRich_49
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    Not an issue.
    Tinman
  • grtpumpkin
    Options
    Thanks gents.
    So does the zone valve control box function the same as the messy bird nest of wiring stuffed into a junction box with the exception of the added priority function and confirmation lights? I mean this is a messy install that was done and it's a real pain chasing the wires to identify them. I know the zone valve control will make a nice neat install with added functionality and monitoring. I'll get the box and some new wire on order soon. Will make a good early springtime project.
    Rich.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    Yes a ZVC cleans up the wiring and it looks much neater. The LED's help in troubleshooting. It is pretty much plug and play.
  • grtpumpkin
    Options
    Thank you for the comments. Ordered up the 405 model and some new wire.
  • SteveSan
    SteveSan Member Posts: 234
    Options
    Please call into Taco Tech Support 401-942-8000 and ask for ext. 328. I can help you with any questions regarding your ZVC wiring. Steve
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 707
    Options
    hi G
    following up to see if you decided on the ZVC404, or ZVC405? I read your post on Monday, and asked Taco tech support to reach out to you to help make a more informed decision. Steve San sent you a quick note to call tech support; did you call?
    to answer your question directly, no problem having additional capacity; control will work fine. I always recommend having an extra zone, for future addition to system, or if a zone fails. not likely, but a little insurance always provides a good night sleep. Adding a control also facilitates wiring, and provides diagnostic lights to determine which zones have a demand. hopefully this was helpful. Please reach out to Taco tech support if you have additional questions.

Joe mattiello
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
    Erin Holohan Haskellrick in Alaska
  • grtpumpkin
    Options
    Thanks joe. Just read this tonight. I may give steve a call. I purchased the zvc405. Mounted it to the a wall near the boiler. Have not wired it yet. I did have a question regarding the wiring.
    Is it required to wire the circulator pump to this control? Or can I just wire the T T terminals to my existing aquastat as that is what controls my single circulator pump? Will doing it this way allow the priority zone to function?
    Thanks for the help.