Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Design Questions- New Build

Options
Hello all, we are building a new house and I would like to do the radiant heat myself. I am not a radiant heat expert. I can do plumbing, sweating, pecs, and have redone many bathrooms. I got a diy design from a company that I see many here do not approve of and will not mention names. After reading a lot of the forum articles it occurs to me that I need to ask some questions before I install to have the best chance at success. If you are willing to make suggestions I will greatly appreciate it.

What is the project?
It is a 2 floor 4000 sq ft house with a walkout basement, 2K per level. The upper level garage is on the south side, house arranged almost exactly front east, back west. The upstairs is the main living area with zones for Great room (1100), master(250), bath and laundry (180), garage(530). Almost all time will be spent in the great room

Downstairs has workshop(730), 2 bedrooms and bath2(490), hall, bath3 and bed4(535)

The house has a lot of windows(463) and large glass doors(384) west facing both up and down. There is a covered deck off the top level, so much of the doors will be shaded. I am attaching the house drawings in case there is interest.

I attempted a heat load calculation, attached, based on info found online. If you could please tell me if I am on the right track I would greatly appreciate it. I was not able to find a definitive guide on how to calculate it. If there is a better way to do this I would very much like to know where I can find it? I am pretty good with numbers and can follow directions... most of the time :).

Also, in some of the forum articles there was talk of not having a large zone like what I have for the Greatroom. What is considered "best practice" for size of a zone?

Thanks, any feedback is appreciated.
Dean