Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Snow Melt controls

MikeJ
MikeJ Member Posts: 103

Ways of Controlling Snow Melt,

Just finished installing my system, now need to control it. I have two empty pex pipes installed in the slap for sensors. What is the normal temperature setting, how warm do you need to keep the slap?

does using the boiler sensor work?

Did not want to go with the socket in the slap sensor for control, the price is high and have replaced a few over the years

Been snowing here for serval hours. I'm using the boiler to control the loop now.
The boiler is set for discharge of 72 degrees. return is 61 degrees, boiler running about 46%,
The supply and return for the slaps are reading the same as boiler temperatures.

Have a system for the driveway and for the patio.

If you cycle the boiler do you want to keep the slap pumps running?

Thanks
Mike J

Roohollah

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Looks great!!
    I am glad you finally got snow....and I did not ;)

Is there lettering on the side of that Sprinter...missing out on national advertising.

Wife looked at pictures and is impressed.
    However she is wondering what a "slap sensor" is?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,023
    You can get external snowmelt sensors, gutter mount for example. Unless you want to run it manually every time it snows? Manual systems often use a spring wound timer, set it for so many hours, slab sensor could also be tied in.

The slab doesn't need to be much above freezing to start melting. It will take a lot of energy to idle a slab when it is 30 degrees outside, you will want some sort of automatic, sensing and shutdown control.

HBX and tekmar are the most common brands.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    RoohollahSTEVEusaPA